Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"Please alight, b@$%#es."

This is not the MRT. It's a special station owned by Malaysia that connects Singapore and Malaysia together. It's actually shutting down at the end of this month and the land is being returned to Singapore. So yeah, not the MRT. 
I love public transportation. Absolutely love it. I just find every aspect of it appealing. Getting to sit down and not have to worry about how soon the next turn is or if there are cops nearby is just so relaxing. Of course, as most of you know, I hate driving. It costs so much more and is not really as enjoyable. So I may be a tad bit biased.

I think what I found most enjoyable about it is the sense of collective-ness it creates. From the moment you enter the station, you move in a mass through the turntables, up the escalator, and wait together behind the yellow line for the train to arrive. Then everyone moves together into the train and finds a seat or small gap of space to stand. As soon as the train jolts forward, everyone beings to move together as a single, collective mass. As the train goes around turns and sways side-to-side, everyone moves in a single direction, together. That's why I like it more than driving. When you're in a car, you're alone, disconnected from the world. I assume that's what some people like about it, but not me.

I also love it regardless of what time it is. Starting the day out on a less-than-crowded train always interests me. You have the opportunity to simply sit and observe those around you. There's always so many different types of people on the train, each with a story to tell. It's fun to watch and postulate each person's story. I wonder what that lady's job is? Where are that person over there going so dressed up? Why did that guy with a black baseball cap covering his face just get up and leave a black, unmarked bag on the train? (Jk. As the multiple videos around the MRT stations have taught me, I should report that if I see it! haha) During rush hour, everyone pushes together and packs in determined to make it on before the door starts beeping and closes. There's just something I like about that slight awkwardness you experience when you're pressed up so close to someone that you don't even need to hold on to something in order to stop from falling over when the train shakes suddenly. There's just something about that momentary eye contact that you can't avoid when everyone is unable to move. There's just something about it all. Then night time comes and the trains are much more open and quiet. As you look around, you see someone listening to music, a couple talking in hushed voices, and a little, old, Asian woman sleeping with bags of groceries on either side. Each person has a story and a purpose; however, unlike during the day, I don't want to guess about what it is. I just want to be apart of it. I want to put my earphones in, close my eyes, and feeling the rumble of the train along the tracks. I just want to be able to instinctively wake up at the correct stop like so many of them do. Just remember to "Please mind the platform gap" when you get off.

But that's just the MRT. There's also buses and taxis. Admittedly, buses aren't my favorite thing in the world. Waiting for irregular time intervals and dealing with the constant turning and stopping of the bus isn't too enjoyable. However, the game of anticipating your stop and pressing the button early enough is both stressful and fun. Then, after all the buses and MRT stop running at 12, you get the opportunity to flag down a taxi. This almost always guarantees a new friend and interesting conversation with the taxi cab driver.

So yeah, I love public transportation. It makes me realize how much I'm meant to live in a city. Singapore, Tokyo, or New York, it doesn't matter. I just know it's how I'm meant to live.

Also, they use the word "alight" here. It means to get off. Isn't that funny? I don't think I'd ever even heard that word prior to here. I'll be using it on the P2P next year. Oh! Everyone has iphones or ipads here. They're always using them. Ok well, peace. ^^v

No comments:

Post a Comment